Monday, September 5, 2011

IT WAS ONE OF THOSE DAYS

I was doing my season-end janitorial duties.  Washing the floor, repairing, general cleaning.  I had a doctor’s appointment in the afternoon at 1:30 PM up in Edmonds.  I’d leave at 12:30.  Plenty of time.  I get into the car, turn on the radio to get the traffic and it began.

“There is a multiple car pile up near 160th on I 405.  The back up is now about ¾ a mile.”

I have an end around strategy through the neighborhood to avoid freeway back ups that should still give me time.  Every traffic light conspired against me.  I grumbled and felt the first pangs of anxiety.  I had to wait through two lights at 124th.  A truck pulling a trailer lumbers up the hill.  “Come on. . . Come ON!”  Finally, he is turning.  I check the time.  Once the truck turns I get around him accelerating.  Too much in the first 100 yards.  I look in the rearview mirror to enjoy the light show on a police car.  I was convinced it was festooned  with several extra banks of colorful lights.  Nice.  I pull over.

“Good afternoon. (yupper).  You were going 41 mph in a 25 mph zone.” (My Prius?  Went to 41 in less than a football field? Nice! I had the fleeting thought. Very fleeting.)  I had plenty of sniveling excuses but I was GUILTY.  He handed me my ticket ($195!) and wished me a better afternoon.  Nice guy.  I puttered off continuing my end run, now a stroll.  I checked time and it looked like I might make it. 

I rolled in at 1:25.  Plenty of time. I hustle to the reception counter.  “Hi, I’m Bill Neville and  I have an appointment at 1:30.”   The receptionist thumbed through the files.  She couldn’t find my file.  Why?

My appointment is next week.

What a doofus.

No comments:

Post a Comment