Tuesday, September 20, 2011

CONTINUING EDUCATION



I humbly admit that I think I learn more from the young players that I teach than they absorb from me.  Again this summer we presented our Junkyard Dawgs satellite team camps in forms designed for the specific needs of each program.  Once again my son, Ramsey, was my Administrative Assistant and great traveling companion while my wife, Barbara, ran the business from home base.  We did camps in Washington, Oregon, Montana, and Alaska.  We had the opportunity to work with a boatload of great people.

It is always inspiring to me to work with high school coaches who put in extra hours during the school year, and a chunk of their summers, to work on their volleyball programs to make them better.  Their primary reward is the satisfaction of providing quality educational experiences for their charges. 

The following are some highlights and continuing educational opportunities:

Top five Quotes

I shave my arms.  Do you shave yours?  They tan better that way.”
-          one player to another during a drill right after I emphasized the importance of
concentrating on every contact.

“My eyes and mind dug the ball.  My body just didn’t follow.”
-          a player explaining the reason she did not pursue a ball in a defensive drill.

“I wasn’t near a pen, pencil, or piece of paper.”
-          a player explaining why she didn’t do an overnight assignment that all of her teammates did, all of whom apparently were near the required implements.

“She should be pretty good on the junior varsity.”
-          a senior commenting to another senior about a freshman who was clearly the
best player in the gym.  She should have removed the word ‘junior’ and ‘pretty’ from her comment and it would have been accurate.

“Does jumping matter if I am hitting?”
-          a player’s query during a hitting drill.

Worth Pondering:  “MY BAD!”

After hearing this current oft-used statement as an excuse for virtually anything I began thinking. . . always a semi-dangerous phenomena.  Why is it easier and accepted to talk in negative terms in what should be a very positive activity? (sports) 

To wit: “Don’t (or never) give up!”  Why not, “Keep fighting!”
           
“My bad!”  Does anyone ever say (with equal enthusiasm) “My Good!”?
           
When I asked players to explain what something is (IE. “Explain the overlap rule.) Virtually every player started by saying what it wasn’t.  I would interrupt:
“I asked what it is, not, what it isn’t.”  

I wonder why we are conditioned to explain or comment in the negative.  It seems there is a great concern about being viewed as confident and positive about one’s self.  The concern is that others will view another as arrogant, cocky, or superior.  Also, I think, if one sets a standard of a “My good” attitude he or she must continually live up to it.  It is much easier to be mediocre than to be great.  Somehow immediately apologizing in one form or another sends the message that one recognizes mistakes and is exonerated from further responsibility.

During the course of the summer I decided to add to camp a reminder.  If I heard a player say “My Bad!” she owed me (and herself) a “My Good!” said with equal enthusiasm after a good effort.  Also, I trained them to say “sorry” in a more positive way.  For example, if a setter set a ball too low and/or too tight she should say what she was going to do next time: “Next time I will get that set higher and deeper.”  The setter now has said two things:  (1) The last set wasn’t where it should have been; and (2) I am committing to my next effort.

It is too easy to apologize and it really doesn’t matter.  Commitment and great effort matters. No need to apologize.

Worth pondering, eh?

Exciting things coming up.  I wish all of the programs and players with whom I have worked with a great Fall season.  Likewise, to all of my colleagues on the threshold of another campaign:  may satisfaction and success come your way.  I love teaching and seeing all the players from many teams but I do miss game time and the related preparation.

Have a great week. 





No comments:

Post a Comment